Saturday 24 August 2013

Alt Appreciation Week - Death Knight

Riding Her Black Drake from Obsidian Sanctum

Laeleiweyn has come up with a great idea - Alt Appreciation Weeks - running for 11 weeks (or maybe longer apparently!) and as the name implies, celebrating a different class each week. This week is Death Knight week and better late than never I suppose but I have no idea how I missed this during the week! Being so late to the party, I can't really celebrate by playing my DK much but I can tell you a little of her story :)

Aww, She Blinked
I started the DK early in the summer before Cataclysm arrived. I got her to 75 around about November 2010 and there she sat for a few months. She was leveled to be my Scribe as glyphs were a hot market in those days and at 75, she could max out to 450 in Wrath. Then all my guild drama happened and I found myself pretty much lost & alone in game which is when I really turned to gold making and as part of that, my lovely gorgeous Draenai DK became not only my Scribe but my Jewelcrafter too.

During Cataclysm, I spent more time on her than on my main Paladin. I hated the changes to Holy Power & just could not get my head around the new rotation for Pallys. I also lost a lot of my confidence when I tried my first heroic dungeon on my Paladin - Heroic Grim Batol - never was a dungeon so aptly named - 45 minutes of the others bitching at me before I finally left the group and to this day, I still haven't completed that achievement!

So I turned to my DK - dual wield Frost spec at the time, I felt like I was doing ok mostly and I loved the whole Path of Frost thing too. Between milling herbs for inks to make glyphs and prospecting ores for gems, she did most of the dungeons in Cataclysm. I almost mogged her too and if you've been reading here or over at AH Addict, you'll know I don't really mog much!

Tidy Tidy!
I took her to Molton Core to farm for Blood of The Mountains - determined to make her the Dark Iron set - until I found out there were replica pieces available from Shattrath vendors! So I sold the Blood of the Mountains for a nice profit and now she's just wearing quest drops again.

So Mists of Pandaria arrived and out came my Paladin again - always my first love, even if I can't play her very well anymore. Oh man did I struggle to get through to 90! I died so many times I felt like she was wearing cloth armor or something. So when it came time to choose my 2nd alt to level, the gold maker in me made me chose the DK - Jewelcrafting & meta gems from drops meant she had to be out in the world but I let my friend talk me into leveling in Blood spec!

Just to try it out, I took her to the Trogg farming place in Deepholm - oh my! that was so much fun! It turns out she's a very neat DK - she likes nice tidy arrangements of dead bodies but sometimes she attracts a little too much attention! She survived though which is something I was never able to do on my Paladin!

She's In There Somewhere!
What a totally different experience that was! She was virtually unkillable in tank spec - slow for sure but I saved so much time not resurrecting every 5 minutes it didn't make that much difference! I  love questing on her now but I still haven't braved any dungeons! I have no idea how to really tank on a DK and I'll be honest - I don't want the nasty people found in randoms to spoil my enjoyment of the class.

I'm planning on dual spec back to Frost though - I want to do stuff on her, just not tank dungeons! She's also my richest alt as JC is still churning in the gold! I should probably treat her to a nice shiny new weapon or something, I think she's earned it!

She's also named after a character in a book - I wonder how many of you recognise it? I thought the ghostly pale skin & the fact that DK's are kind of bad guys was very appropriate so she became one of my 3 alts named after fictional characters. You know me as Nev but that comes from Nevyn - another book character and my priest is yet another but I'll leave her story for her week :)

****************

Check out some of my Squidoo lenses!

5 comments:

  1. Nice post! I like your DK. (I'm a draenei enthusiast.) :)

    I feel really bad about the treatment your pally received in Grim Batol, I too have had similar experiences that has turned me away from characters or aspects of the game. Luckily most people are nice, we just have to remember that when the rude minority is loud.

    My Death Knight is Blood as well, I really like it! I haven't tanked any dungeons or raid finder on her though, cause I don't want to put myself in that very visible situation. But I have tanked scenarios (lol) and world bosses. This week I've been lurking the different raid finders as Frost to celebrate Death Knight Week. Though it is with my heart in my stomach, worried sick I'll get kicked cause of my DPS. Perhaps not all characters need to be social characters?

    I'm happy you joined Death Knight Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading the Malloreon again so yes, I spotted that :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you'll know my priest then - Moreta?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh now we're riding into Anne McCaffrey territory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love all her books! My main was supposed to be Lessa but it was taken :(

      Delete