Friday 19 September 2014

One Minute Gaming #24 - A Dark Room

Not exactly the most enticing screenshot!
This week, I tried an old fashioned text adventure game called A Dark Room. I've only played one text adventure in the past - Forest of Doom on a Commodore 64 so I thought I'd have a look at this one for you.

The reviews were mixed - those who said they loved it remembered text adventures from the past, those who said they hated it just didn't understand it's simplicity - I'd guess they were youngsters, too used to flashy graphics and loud music of more modern games.

I have to say, I'm not sure which camp I fall in - love it or hate it - as a text adventure it actually seems really slow to me. The game designers have added in resources to collect which I don't remember from the old games and so far, I haven't found anyone to fight. I have started to build a village and gained some gatherers though.

The reviews suggested that the story takes a while to unfold so I'm going to keep going a while longer yet but unless it picks up pretty soon, I think this will be a limited time game on my ipad. It may well appeal to some of you but I'm really undecided about A Dark Room so I'm going to give it a 5 out of 10, mainly for it's slowness so far!

If you have a game you'd like to suggest, you can contact me on Twitter @NevAHAddict or leave a comment below.

So until next time - have fun!
****************
Check out my latest project
Gifts for Gamers and Geeks


No comments:

Post a Comment